What is Mending the Soul?
“He has sent me to bring good news to the oppressed, to bind up the brokenhearted.” (Isaiah 61:1)
Mending the Soul (MTS) is a support group for women who wish to find healing and recovery from abuse in a safe, supportive setting. The group addresses all kinds of abuse: sexual, physical, verbal, emotional, neglect, financial and spiritual. Over 14 weeks we’ll explore the nature and effects of abuse and journey together toward healing and wholeness.
MTS materials are psychologically informed, biblically based, and Christ-centered. Weekly homework includes reading a chapter from Mending the Soul: Understanding and Healing Abuse by Dr. Steven Tracy and completing the corresponding chapter in the Mending the Soul Workbook by Celestia Tracy.
All potential participants should complete the Intake Form, turn it into the church office, and schedule a Discernment Conversation by calling the church office at 630-653-4140 or contacting Sheli or Laura. All Intake Forms are kept secure and confidential by the Mending the Soul facilitators. Registration for the fall 2022 Mending the Soul course is now closed. Registration for the winter/spring 2023 Mending the Soul course will open in January.
Prior to the start of the group sessions, each potential participant must:
- Download, complete, and turn in the Intake Form.
- Sign up for (and attend) a Discernment Conversation time to meet with the facilitators.
- Group Sessions: 9:00 – 11:00 am, Saturdays, Sept. 10 – Dec. 3. in the Conference Room (no class the week of Thanksgiving).
- Class on September 24 will be from 9:00 am -12:00 pm.
- Class on November 5 will be from 9:00 am -12:00 pm.
- When: weekly for 2 hours in the FECC Study.
- Where: Faith Evangelical Covenant Church, 2001 Lakeview Dr. Wheaton, IL 60189
- Facilitators: Sheli Hayes and Laura Hickox
- Cost: $65 to cover the cost of the book and workbook. Scholarships are available, contact Sheli Hayes for assistance.
- Snacks and beverages will be provided at each session.